Wednesday, March 24, 2010

LA Colors Nail Lacquers with Hardeners in French Nails Purple

Today, looking at my depleting bank account, I got depressed and decided to perk myself up by buying a little something (notice how my logic is completely off?) I was determined to only purchase 1 thing for less than 5 dollars, because that's what I had in my pocket, and I had to give up buying another cup of coffee for the day (it was okay, I already had 2 cups.) So, I picked up a nail polish from LA Colors, paid and walked out (with just the one nail polish!)

LA Colors isn't sold in drugstore by me, but it's available at beauty supplies stores. I picked up their nail polish because I was looking for a lilac color and this one seemed perfect! It was $2.99 which is a lot less than OPI and Essie.

Color: While it does go on kind of sheer, you can build up the color. It's probably because it's supposed to be used as a base for french nails. I did 3 coats and you can still see my nail but the color shows. 1 coat is definitely NOT enough. You can barely see the color, even if you were just using it as a base. 2 coats give you a tint of the lavender or lilac purple, which I think would look great if I added a french tip. It's actually shiny even without a top coat, but it takes a long time to dry. The brush is a standard brush, so it won't cover your whole nail and you'll need at least 3 strokes. It's actually shiny even without a top coat, but it takes a long time to dry so I'd use a quick dry top coat. I used Sally Hansen Insta-Dri.

Application:
It goes on smooth. The nail polish is pretty thin, which is probably why it's so sheer (even for a base color). I would recommend having a lot of product on the brush to avoid that streaky look, but that's with all nail polishes. If you've ever been to a nail salon, you'll notice they don't fully wipe off the brush. I normally wipe off one side completely and on the other side, I only take off the excess from the top of the brush (not the tip). After applying 3 coats, I think it's pretty even and I don't see any lines or blotches. One benefit of it being so sheer is that even if you get it on your skin (sometimes I can't color inside the lines! lol) you can't see it.

Repurchase: Overall, I like it. I'll have to see how long it lasts and stuff but so far so good. I wish I'd looked at the name before I bought it because in the bottle it looks like an opaque color (okay, fine all nail polishes do!) but that's my own fault. I think I'll buy a few more colors (this time I'll read the names first). I'd also love to see what it would look like with a base under it, maybe white or nude, because then you wouldn't see my nail. Maybe I'll try that one day.

You can find them online for a little over a dollar. One site is http://www.nonpareilboutique.com. I've never ordered from them, so buyer beware! (I've seen a lot of other girls refer to that place which is why I put the link.)

I'll revamp this post once I test out it's wearability, since I just got it today. Same goes for the "with hardeners part." (I'll add a picture soon!)

3 comments: